Saturday, July 13, 2013

Kitchen Therapy - A Glass of Rose' & Savory Clafoutis



Gallup has recently confirmed what everyone knows:  70% of us don’t feel positively about our source of daily bread.  And by that they don’t mean our local bakers but our gig, our grind, our old 9-to-5.  The best thing about a vocation is a vacation, but an avocation can lead to many pleasurable hours and experiences.

As a culinary diva, food and beverages are my avocation, a status I would upgrade to vocation in a blink if I could thereby support sous chef and me.  That seems unlikely, however, so I pursue my passion in many ways:  restaurants, bars, wineries, farmers markets, food blogs, and the like.  Yet perhaps my favorite pursuit is cooking.  Not the sweaty, neurotic kind of cooking done in a restaurant or the frenzied kind of cooking for dinner parties or large groups.  But the serene, agreeable experience of trying new recipes or crafting old ones in clever and delectable ways, all in the comfort of one’s own kitchen.  What a great way to unwind after a day of drudgery—and it certainly does not hurt to have sous chef provide me with a glass of chilled French Rosé before the cooking begins (and refills as it proceeds). 



My sous chef and I love the challenge of using a favored dish as a platform for other dishes.  There is something about the inventive use of familiar fare that is fundamentally rewarding.  I would be pleased as punch to be known as the “MacGyver of the kitchen,” so I was thrilled that the sweet, luscious Cherry Clafoutis I wrote about in June can easily be turned into a savory delight.  I took the base recipe for Clafoutis, omitted the sugar, exchanged heirloom cherry tomatoes for the cherries, and added some fresh basil and cubed cheese to the mix.   The result was a Savory Clafoutis that can be served on its own as a first course, as a side to a brunch, or as a light lunch with an herb infused salad. 



The combinations and permutations for the little Clafoutis are seemingly endless.  Crave some pork fat:   just add bacon or pancetta.  Feeling Greek:  combine olives and feta with the tomatoes and garnish with some freshly diced cucumber and dill.  Fromage lover?  Go for it!  The base Clafoutis is the perfect canvas for mild to strong cheeses to shine.  Heck, why not have a Clafoutis party?  Fix up a batch of Clafoutis batter and let the guests add their own ingredients to make them sweet or savory.  



Savory Clafoutis

Batter:

4 eggs
¾ cup of sugar
Pinch of salt
Scant ½ cup ground almonds
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
7 Tbs creme fraiche (can substitute sour cream)
 7 Tbs Buttermilk (or regular milk)


Filling:

1 container Mini Heirloom  Tomatoes
1 cup diced cheese of your choice
2 spring onions diced
Chopped fresh herbs of your choice

Bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Butter and flour 6-8 ramekins or one 7 ½ by 4 inch baking dish or pan.  (I used bread crumbs that I had seasoned with garlic, black pepper and sea salt, in place of flour in the ramekins.)

Place tomatoes evenly across bottom of the prepared ramekins or dish.

Whisk the eggs with sugar and salt until pale yellow and thick. Sift and fold in the ground nuts and flour, then stir in the crème fraiche.   Add cheese, spring onions and freshly chopped herbs.  Make sure the ingredients are well mixed.

Pour or ladle the batter over the tomatoes, place the ramekins or dish on a baking tray, and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.

Interested in reading more experiences with Cherry Clafoutis?  This week the Dorista's over at French Friday's with Dorie have a gaggle of experiences to read about.

10 comments:

  1. That looks scrumptious and I just bookmarked your recipe. I used
    blueberries for my clafoutis and hubby loved it. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you back! I love your savoury take on this dish. It's something to try next month, when the tomatoes in my garden are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super receta me encanta luce muy rica,saludos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how interesting to see a savory clafoutis! I bet it tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you did with the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your savory version - a perfect side for a light dinner or brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A savoury clafoutis is such a great idea. Though I must admit that if I were making a clafoutis, it would be hard not to make it with cherries.

    MacGyver of the kitchen - what an excellent ambition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious idea. Pinning this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea! I never thought of making a savory clafoutis, but yours sounds excellent. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Confessions of a Culinary Diva - feedback always appreciated!